Monday, April 14, 2008

This is just a phase


I have almost gotten through most of what has been thrown my way on those four little words, "This is Just a Phase". I remember the time Little Lady was just a newborn and she would have these fits of uncontrollable crying. A friend with an older baby told me that it was going to get better, that it was just a phase. I grabbed onto that statement and it became my moto. I would fall back on those words during every difficult stage we encountered as a new couple. Teething, eating, "NO!", potty training... you know the drill- and every time we would come out on the other side of said phase feeling relieved that we had successfully conquered one beast or another.


Fast forward to today, or more accurately last night. Little Mama has decided that sleep is not that important anymore. It's the anymore part that has left me frustrated with this phase. I have decided that it is just not that fun to think that your days of sleeping through the night are finally here and then to be awaken multiple times, repeatedly, over and over again, did I say multiple . Now, don't get me wrong, I know many other parents have had it worse. I am thankful that we did not have to deal with colic, reflux, or anything along those lines, just a few sleepless nights strung together in a seemingly endless phase.



So, if you happen to see me around, please remind me, "This is just a phase" you can even throw in a, "This too shall pass". I know there will come a time when we are dealing with boys, make-up, friend fights and all that comes with teenage girls and I will look back on these days with extreme nostalgia (probably with a tear in my eyes). I guess it doesn't seem that bad, what's a few sleepless nights anyway...

3 comments:

"Grandi" said...

Ah yes - but when you are in the middle of it - it seems endless!! Hang in there DW - "this too shall pass"! HA!! (sorry - I couldn't resist!)

Your own dear "Babe" did this for a while when he was a baby. I spent several nights at one point rocking him back to sleep (or trying to - he didn't want to be asleep!). I was exhausted and had to get him sleeping again. The first night we put the plan into motion we didn't respond to the cries - we just stayed in our bed. He cried 2 hours before he finally gave up and fell asleep. We took turns starting for the room, but were pulled back by the other - we had to be strong!! The 2nd night it was less than 2 hours, the 3rd about half an hour, and by the 4th night we heard a wimper and that was the end of it.

I don't know if doing something like that would work for you - we didn't have another child to be awakened. We did tell our neighbors what we were doing, because their bedroom was right across a narrow driveway from his. She laughed, said they had done the same thing many years before, and they moved to their guest bedroom for those few nights!

We are really looking forward to seeing you soon!! Please add Great Nana to the birthday count - we'll bring her with us!

Leftend said...

I wish there was more I could do to help!! Hopefully once she's done with the sniffles it will end.

Regarding the whole "dealing with boys" issue... that's one you can leave to me! ;-)

"Grandi" said...

Ooohhh - Leftend - that sounds wonderfully ominous!! Ha - I could always count on my daddy to be there to meet any boy that arrived at the door. As you know - he was a pussycat, but very protective - so to those hormonal boys he was pretty scary! He was my hero!