Monday, June 23, 2008

Bye, Bye pump???

It was around this time last year that we began pestering our Endocrinologist for an insulin pump for Little Lady.  We had fumbled through months of poking our girl with needles filled with archaic insulin that forced us to feed her by the clock an already determined 45 carbs.  Anyone who has lived with a toddler knows that schedules and force feedings do not sit well with a spirited youngester.  We were tired and research led us to the Animas 2020 insulin pump.  After many months of waiting and a lot of phone calls we were blessed with a home visit from our nurse educator who sat with us as we learned how to manage Lady's diabetes with this new technology.  Little did we know that we would be dealing with a whole new set of "pump" problems and our miracle treatment plan fell a little short of what we had expected.  It took about a month and a half and a few dozen infusion sites (we call them "stickers"), but we finally conquered the beast and our pump became the needed break in Lady's treatment.  We all began to breathe a little easier at meal times and get better rest at night. 

Now, having given a little of our back story I fast forward to today.  It is almost 100 degrees here (again!) and we will be venturing out to the pool (again!).  To anyone else this may seem like an afternoon well spent, an easy cool down remedy for such a hot day.  Well, to us (or me at least) it means careful planning and preparation.  I am constantly worried about Lady's "sticker" or the part of her pump that sticks to her body and actually delivers the insulin she needs.  How long has it been on?  When is she due for a new one (in a perfect world-every three days)?  Will it come off?  Did I bring extra syringes and insulin if it does?  Will I need to come home early to put the numbing cream on in enough time to actually numb her little booty for a new sticker?  Will that delay nap time?  Can she go without it for a while?  All of these questions race through my mind on a daily basis and now entering our first summer with the pump those questions seem to be reaching warp speed and many more are following suit.  Today is the first day that we are "trying" it without the pump.  That means we're back to three shots a day.  SHOTS-and three a day!  We have been able to take a break from them for almost a year and I think that Lady has forgotten that she has ever had them!  It may take a while for her to get used to them again.  This morning I asked if it would help her to give me a shot first to which she answered,"Yes!".  When it came down to it, she would not even touch the syringe and I had to do it myself.  I'm not sure if watching mom poke herself with a needle helped at all but I'm not above trying anything to help her overcome this fear.  It would be nice to not have to plan our summer days around the pump/sticker, but I have yet to decide if it's worth it.  I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils but I think that Lady will not be shy about letting me know what she wants.  We shall see...

1 comment:

"Grandi" said...

Awww - well, it certainly makes sense with being in the water so much! She has done so well with it! Maybe it will be an "every season but swim" thing! Do you have to go back to the pricier insulin with the needles? That would be a bummer! Ok - I can learn to give a shot so we can still babysit!! Love, Me!